Monday 9 September 2013

Common Errors in the English Language (Nishok G U 1313111)

An outing to Yercaud, the poor man’s Ooty
Incorrect version:
            On a beautiful Saturday morning in winter season, she was waiting for me in the bus stand. It was a date. But I was a bit late. She was in her best dress, the red color kurti, which made me skip a blink. We were looking forward to enjoy the trip to the hill-station as much as we could for we were meeting after a month or so. As soon as we had our breakfast at 10 a.m. the bus arrived. The ticket to Yercaud, which is considered as the poor man’s Ooty, costed me quite a few bucks. But when you care about someone, you don’t mind these things. After loading the luggages, we took our seats. The journey was set off.
            On the way uphill, the sceneries were beautiful. Almost two-third of the lands were covered with trees and vegetation. We listened music. She preferred love tunes for other genres. It felt good. After a two-hours travel, we reached the hilltop and then our room. Wow! Such a luxurious suit it was! The furnitures, pool, clothes were exotic. They were superior than anything we would find in our town. In case if we needed anything, there were staffs to help us out.
After a quick bathe, I changed to my pants. Having known enough informations about the place, we decided to take a walk; to the lake, first. Though she refused to go boating, I made her to come with me. By the time we were done, it was lunch time. As we were walking arm-in-arm, we saw a group of beggars on the roadside and pitied on them. One could make out that they have not eaten for days. So, we got them food. It was nice to see them share it between themselves. It was indeed different to any other feeling. They expressed their gratitude in a honest way which you don’t get to see more often these day.
We then returned back to our hotel after tasting the delicious breads of ‘Bread’s residence’. The time was fleeting. Neither she nor I did want the day to end. But it has to. Before she left, I kissed her. She was long gone before I even came to terms with myself that she has. I hope I meet her soon.






Corrected version:
            On a beautiful Saturday morning in winter (unnecessary to specify ‘season’), she was waiting for me in the bus stand. It was a date. But I was a bit late. She was in her best dress, the red (unnecessary to specify ‘color’) kurti, which made me skip a blink. We were looking forward to enjoying (improper structure) the trip to the hill-station as much as we could for we were meeting after a month or so. As soon as we had our breakfast at 10 (unnecessary to mention ‘a.m.’) the bus arrived. The ticket to Yercaud, which is considered (‘as’ to be omitted) the poor man’s Ooty, cost (no such word as ‘costed’) me quite a few bucks. But when you care for (you care about something and you care for someone), you don’t mind these things. After loading the luggage (no plural form), we took our seats. The journey was set off.
            On the way uphill, the scenery (no plural, again) was beautiful. Almost two-thirds (improper structure) of the lands were covered with trees and vegetation. We listened to (you hear something and you listen to something) music. She preferred love tunes to (you prefer something to something) other genres. It felt good. After a two-hour (improper structure) travel, we reached the hilltop and then our room. Wow! Such a luxurious suit it was. The furniture (no plural form), pool, cloths (in American English, cloth is a noun whereas clothe is a verb; in England, both are used interchangeably) were exotic. They were superior to (improper structure) anything we could find in our town. In case (it’s either ‘in case’ or ‘if’; they can’t be used together) we needed anything there were staff (no plural form) to help us out.
            After a quick bath (akin to cloth/clothe differentiation), I changed to my trousers (pants are undergarments covering parts above the knee whereas trousers is the proper term). Having known enough information (no plural form) about the place, we decided to take a walk; to the lake first. Though she refused to go boating, I made her come with me (you make someone do something; you don’t make someone to do something). By the time we were done, it was lunch time. As we were walking arm-in-arm, we saw a group of beggars by (wrong preposition) the roadside and pitied them (you pity someone; you don’t pity on someone). One could make out that they have not eaten for days. So, we got them food. It was nice to see them share it among themselves (‘between’ is used in the case of only 2 people; ‘among’ replaces it if the count increases). It was indeed different from (improper usage) any other feeling. They expressed their gratitude in an (wrong article) honest way which you don’t get to see more often these days.

            We then returned (improper usage) to our hotel after tasting the delicious bread (no plural form) of ‘Bread’s residence’. The time was fleeting. Neither she nor I did want the day to end. But it has to. Before she left, I kissed her. She was long gone before I even came to terms with myself that she has. I hope I will meet her soon. 

Some commonplace errors:

Enjoy the show!














Thank You! 

- Nishok G U
1st CEP
1313111

No comments:

Post a Comment